I've Moved!

This little blog has moved over to the official AHeartSurrendered.com! Check it out; can't wait to see you there.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Latest Venture...

I am venturing outside my comfort zone.

I'm making my uncle's wedding cake.

I've been taking a basic Wilton decorating course at Hobby Lobby for the last four weeks but it was mostly about things that I had learned from a couple years of trial and error.  I'm not feeling extremely confident but I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!

So I researched about making tiered cakes because I had tried before (with no research whatsoever) and the results were a near disaster.  (!)  So here's what I found and so far it has proven to be very helpful!

Yesterday I started my practice cake...

I made 12", 9", and 6" cakes and set the big one on a cookie sheet and the two smaller ones on cardboard circles.  I frosted them, testing out two different types of icing- one containing all butter and the other half butter and half shortening.  Because it is an outside wedding I'm thinking that it may not matter if the icing doesn't taste as good as long as it still remains on the cake... I'm not sure 90 degree weather would be the best for a wedding cake with all butter icing- I'm not ready for disaster!

Anyway, this was probably a boring post but maybe I will post photos of the practice cake later today...  I haven't stacked it yet ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment