I've Moved!

This little blog has moved over to the official AHeartSurrendered.com! Check it out; can't wait to see you there.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Embrace WHAT?!?!?!?

Ha... you are probably on the edge of your seat as to what the "WHAT?!?!?!?" is in the title aren't you?
Patience, patience...

Pop culture, movies, album covers, and even books have been screaming to us girls...
"To be pretty, you must have a PERFECT face!  No pimples, scars, or un-plucked eyebrows... Oh! and don't EVER think that you can go without makeup!"

Yesterday I was feeling... well... ugly.  I have some leftover very subtle acne on my face but I noticed some temporary scars where the acne had left.  My hair dried kind of funny because I waited a bit too long to brush it after coming out of the shower. 

Ugh.

I had to babysit later in the day so I found a few free minutes, snagged 'em and went to the bathroom to cover up my "ugliness".  I wanted to cry just looking at myself... why did I feel like this?

I came to my Momma afterwards and mentioned how I felt...  She began trying to make me feel better about my appearance but then she stopped and said, 
"You know, you should be grateful for your blemishes and when you feel like that because it keeps you from getting prideful about your appearance."

Pure wisdom. 
It was like a light bulb moment for me...

What's the matter with a perfect face?  What's the matter with having no pimples, scars, or un-plucked eyebrows?  Nothing's that matter with it- but it can make it a whole lot harder to view yourself as what you really are: a dirty sinner that doesn't deserve to have anything- not even good looks.
  
So embrace your blemishes- after all where does true beauty really come?

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
~1 Peter 3:3-4~

Thanks, Momma!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that must've been encouraging!

    When we feel, oh so un-pretty, we can look at Provber 31: 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. --It doesn't matter what you look like on the OUTSIDE, but what's on the inside is what really counts.

    ReplyDelete