Wednesday, July 30, 2014

{Trim Healthy Girl} the skeptic's brownie recipe

I will be the first to admit that I am a HUGE skeptic when it comes to 'healthy' dessert recipes.  The way I see it, just make a REAL dessert recipe every once in a while and don't eat too much!  I would rather eat the GOOD stuff only every once in a while rather than eating the 'healthy alternative' (gag) all the time.

My mom started doing the Trim Healthy Mama 'diet' a few months ago.  And again, I was extremely skeptical.  She made the recipes for the 'amazingly good' desserts (as described in the book), and while she would respond with, "Hmm, you know--it's actually not too bad!", (*cough* Special Agent Brownie Cake *cough*) I would try it and wonder why everything 'healthy' had to be utterly disgusting.

Then at last I saw the light {que Rapunzel's song}...

I soon discovered that it's not the healthy concepts that made the stuff taste awful.  It was simply a bad combination.  Bad recipe.  Sorry, I'm a food critic.  If it's not really good for my tongue and body, I'd rather not eat. (Sometimes to my detriment :-/)  I began to employ the THM way of thinking and eating, but doing recipes my way.

So.  I found this brownie recipe, and against everything in me...decided to try it.  (Again.  Another THM dessert recipe.  Mhm.  Let's see how that works out for ya, Amy!)

And it was good.  (Yes, read it again.)  It was actually good.

So then I decided to tweak it a little bit in a batch to bring to a party.  There were a ton of other desserts there too.  I figured I'd take a real brownie.  I mean, the THM ones are good, but not as good as the originals right?  I took a bite, then took a bite of the THM brownie.

I stood corrected.

Those THM brownies were better.

So, I'll bet you want the recipe now ;-)

Here ya go, my tweaked up recipe--I call it "The Skeptic's Brownie".  If I like it, you better believe it's good, lol!

(Btw, these are considered an 'S')


(Recipe adapted from Stacy Makes Cents)

Ingredients:
  • 10 T. Butter
  • 6 T. Cocoa Powder
  • 1/2 C. Truvia Baking Blend {DISCLAIMER: this baking blend DOES contain small amounts of sugar.  If you wish to make these COMPLETELY sugar-free use 1/2 C. xylitol/erythritol and 1/4 tsp. stevia extract to substitute.}
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 C. Almond Meal/Flour
  • 1/2 C. Chopped Nuts (I like to use walnuts)
  • 1/2-1 C. Lily's Stevia-sweetened Chocolate Chips
Stir It Up:

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.  Grease 8x8 baking dish.

2. Melt butter and stir in cocoa powder until smooth.

3. Add Truvia blend, eggs, vanilla, salt, soda, and almond flour.  Stir until smooth.

4. Fold in nuts and chocolate chips.  Pour into prepared pan.

5. Bake for 15-25 minutes.  The baking times on this have fluctuated for me--you don't want dry, over baked brownies!  I set the timer for 15 and begin checking on them, but it can take up to 25 minutes.

There you go!  I hope you enjoy as much as I have :-)

PS: Can I confess that I actually ate these for breakfast???  Stir up some greek yogurt with peanut butter powder and some stevia extract, crumble the brownies on top...oh my...


6 comments:

  1. They sound delish but I'm wondering about the Truvia baking blend I think it has sugar in it. Or is yours some you have mixed up yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Truvia baking blend does have trace amounts of sugar to my knowledge...another option is to use 1/2 C. of xylitol/erythritol and a 1/4 tsp. of pure stevia extract. :-)

      Delete
  2. Where do you get the Lily's Stevia sweetened chocolate chips? I live in a small town in Canada and I'm pretty sure I've never seen these chocolate chips. Also, Where can I find Truvia baking blend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom purchases the Lily's Chocolate Chips from Vitacost (online). I'm pretty sure she was able to find the Truvia baking blend at the regular grocery store like Publix, Super Target, or even Walmart. But if not, I did find it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Truvia-Baking-Blend-Sweetener-Pound/dp/B00935AGUM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407184030&sr=8-2&keywords=truvia+baking+blend

      Hope that helps! :-)

      Delete
  3. do you have the basic nutritional info for these? i was just curious about the fat and carb counts. my husband and boys had a hard time with the black bean brownies. i think it was psychological. but these were a hit, so thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Harmony! Lol, I didn't like the black bean brownies either...and I had a completely open mind while eating them! I looked up the nutritional info for this recipe. Unfortunately, the calculator couldn't recognize the Lily's chips, but here's the basic info for one of nine servings from this recipe otherwise:
      Calories 230.9

      Total Fat 22.2 g

      Saturated Fat 9.5 g

      Polyunsaturated Fat 3.8 g

      Monounsaturated Fat 4.6 g

      Cholesterol 94.4 mg

      Sodium 109.6 mg

      Potassium 107.5 mg

      Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g

      Dietary Fiber 2.3 g

      Sugars 1.5 g

      Protein 4.9 g

      Hope that helps! Be blessed <3

      Delete