I've Moved!

This little blog has moved over to the official AHeartSurrendered.com! Check it out; can't wait to see you there.

Friday, August 24, 2012

"every hour i need You..."

"Teach my song to rise to You
when temptation comes my way..."

  I believe it was a few months ago my family and I were gathered about in the living room, Daddy with guitar in hand, singing some worship songs together.  Violet, age 3, sat sweetly on Momma's lap and sang along until there was a break between songs...
 "Can I do my heart song?"  she queried,  twisting her hands together in front of her mouth with slight embarrassment from all the attention that was coming her way.  The corners of Daddy's mouth turned up in a  grin, "Sure, sweetie- go ahead."  She proceeded to jump out of Momma's lap and present her "heart song".  This presentation consisted of dramatic and aesthetic hand motions and dance moves, all of *original* choreography.  The dance was so good in fact, that some of us began to join her, looking to her to show us the next "move" in her "heart song".  Yes, that's an evening that we still talk and laugh about- I tried to describe it to my friends at church the following Sunday as I was laughing hysterically- but they didn't get it.  Hmm... maybe you should have been there.
  
  My point in bringing up this story is that I loved what she called her dance her "heart song".  I have now lovingly adopted this title to describe
and illustrate the rank of a song to me- some songs just feel like they go straight to my heart- as though I could have written the words myself because they describe exactly how I feel.

  This song that I want to share with you today is one such song.


Lord I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the one that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You


Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are
And where You are Lord I am free
Holiness is Christ in me

So teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus, You're my hope and stay


Written by Jesse Reeves, Kristian Stanfill, Matt Maher, Christy Nockels and Daniel Carson
© 2011 sixsteps Music / worshiptogether.com Songs / Sweater Weather (Admin. at EMICMGPublishing.com) (ASCAP) / Thankyou Music (admin. worldwide at EMICMGPublishing.com, excluding Europe, which is admin. by Kingswaysongs) (PRS) / Valley of Songs Music (BMI)


  When I first heard this song I was almost positive that I had heard it somewhere before- why did it sound so familiar?  It felt like I knew it already- as though I had learned it long ago and it was ingrained upon my heart.  I don't know why, but that's how I felt, and how I feel every time I hear it. 

  I am so encouraged by the words to this song.  Oftentimes I feel so weak, I feel like I cannot stand firm in the face of temptation, like I cannot control my thoughts when they turn to wickedness, like every time I turn around I'm failing as a Christian.  This is when I realize that I am trying to stand firm in the face of temptation by myself.  I'm trying to bridle my thoughts by myself.  I'm trying to do the work that God has planned to do through me- alone.  

"For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who had been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.  Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
~Hebrews 4:15-16 {emphasis added}

 It is such a comfort to me to know that Jesus knows the struggles that I encounter- and He has overcome and is waiting for me to come to the throne of grace so that He can help me to overcome as well- in my time of need.  How sweet it is to have such an Advocate!

So teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus, You're my hope and stay...


2 comments:

  1. Little "i" emphasized...

    i say when we become Christians that we "lose the capitalization in 'i'".

    Only my king, Jesus, could give me a daughter that could encourage me the way you do. i love you, Amy!

    daddy

    ReplyDelete