I've Moved!

This little blog has moved over to the official AHeartSurrendered.com! Check it out; can't wait to see you there.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

drawing fire {book review}

//title: drawing fire//

//author: janice cantore//

//facebook//

//genre: christian fiction//

One case from her past defines homicide detective Abby Hart.
With a possible serial killer stalking elderly women in Long Beach, California, Abby’s best lead is Luke Murphy, an irritating private investigator who saw a suspect flee the scene of the latest homicide. When Abby discovers that the most recent victim is related to the governor, she’s anxious to talk to him about a cold case that’s personal to her―one Luke is interested in as well.As she learns more about the restaurant fire that took her parents’ lives years ago, Abby discovers why Luke is so invested in finding the ones responsible. The more they uncover, though, the more questions they have. Can Abby find peace without having all the answers?

Confession:  I have a thing for crime investigation novels.  There's something about the suspense and mystery of them.  I'm always drawn to stories: books and movies alike that portray the quest for justice.  When I saw the synopsis for Drawing Fire, I had to read it! ;)


It took me a little while to be drawn into the plot, but once I began to understand Abby's background and history, I found myself truly empathizing with her.  Her struggles in trying to balance justice with vengeful feelings was intriguing...I loved how the author incorporated Abby's Christian beliefs and worldview in her work without making the book 'preachy'.  


All of the characters were beautifully three-dimensional.  Real hearts and real struggles, and diverse personalities!  As the book switched points of view (excellently well done, I might add) I loved seeing how the other characters view each other.  Luke, the extroverted, enthusiastic guy, quick witted, but also hot tempered.  And Abby, the introverted, more solemn and thoughtful woman, tactful but also closed off.  Excellent diversity of character voicing!


I will say though, I didn't like Abby's relationship with her fiancé...which seemed barely existent.  The way that it was portrayed, I kept wondering how they ever got engaged in the first place.  Also, as I previously mentioned, it took me a little while to 'get into' the book.  At first, it felt like too many moving parts at a time--I got a little confused.  


All in all, it was a great read.  An easy read, but definitely interesting and one to leave you thinking.


I found the end to be unsatisfying to say the least, BUT...in a good way.  I appreciated how it left the reader wanting more, causing more thought about the story itself.  What would you do if you were Abby?  It also left an empty stage, curtain ready to be drawn for book two, which I am eager to read!


Special thanks to Tyndale Blog Network for providing me with a complementary copy of Drawing Fire in exchange for this honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment